Coast pharmacist, marketer admit defrauding military health care by $2.3 million

A Biloxi man and a Lamar County pharmacist have pleaded guilty in what has been called the largest ever national health care fraud enforcement action by the Medicare Fraud Strike Force.

The investigation involves at least one doctor who wrote false prescriptions for compounded medicines, costing the U.S. military healthcare program a loss of $2.3 million, court papers show. Gerald Jay Schaar and Jason May are participants in a new investigation involving a doctor.

Schaar, 46, has admitted he marketed illegal prescriptions that were billed to TRICARE, which provides health care benefits for military personnel, veterans and their dependents. But those prescriptions were not dispensed to patients while Schaar received kickbacks.

Read More

Please Donate

What $20 million in alleged food stamp fraud bought these 12 people: prosecution

South Florida reached another fraud milestone for what the Justice Department called “the largest combined financial fraud loss for a food stamp trafficking takedown in history.”

That dubious new record, federal prosecutors claim, is $20 million and resulted in a dozen charged with doing the government dirty via food stamp fraud, wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud.

The 12 charged over four cases are Hasan Saleh, 59, Mohammed Alobaisi, 37, Reynold Francois, 38, Ihab Hassouna, 44, Mohammad Alteen, 33, Maria Jerdana, 36, Joe Ann Baker, 56, Yousef “Joe” Homedan Zahran, 60, Omar Hajje, 43, Jalal Hajyousef, 42, Andy Javier Herrera, 24, and father Javier Herrera, 49.

“In this instance, eight small convenience stores in South Florida committed a staggering amount of fraud in a relatively short amount of time,” said Karen Citizen-Wilcox, special agent in charge, U.S. Department of Agriculture-Office of the Inspector General, in a release. “These retailers created an illegal benefits exchange system that defrauded the American taxpayer and denied healthy foods to needy children and their families. The store owners who allegedly orchestrated this trafficking scheme pocketed millions in ‘fees’ which they charged for converting food assistance benefits into cash.”

Read More

Please Donate

Ponzi schemer Scott Rothstein court documents detail undercover work for feds

Ponzi schemer Scott Rothstein had drinks on the town at the request of federal investigators to hide that he was working for them after his arrest, according to court documents unsealed Thursday.

Cooperation could have gotten Rothstein a break on his 50-year prison sentence, but prosecutors said earlier this week he had lied to them and doesn’t deserve a reduction.

Rothstein pleaded guilty to several federal charges after his Ponzi scheme imploded during the Halloween weekend in October 2009. The now-disbarred lawyer was caught operating a $1.4 billion fraud at his Fort Lauderdale law firm offices.

On Jan. 20, 2010, Rothstein agreed to testify for the prosecution and go undercover if requested by investigators, according to the document. He’d voluntarily returned to Florida from Morocco.

Read More

 

U.S. Navy fraud case involving Fat Leonard snares captain

United States Navy captain Jesus Vasquez Cantu admitted in federal court yesterday (August 18) that he accepted bribes, including the services of multiple prostitutes, to pass critical information to Leonard Glenn Francis (aka Fat Leonard) and his Singapore-based Glenn Defense Marine Asia.

Cantu, 59, who had a “top secret” clearance, acknowledged, among many things, that Francis provided him with the services of two prostitutes on June 1, 2012, at the Hotel Singapore. He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit bribery and is scheduled to be sentenced November 9 before U.S. district judge Janis L. Sammartino.

Cantu admitted that on numerous occasions in 2012 and 2013, Glenn took him and others for drinks and dinner at posh eating and drinking places and provided him prostitutes. As of now, 28 individuals, including 21 current and former Navy officials and 5 civilian defendants, plus Glenn’s company, have been charged as part of the investigation.

Cantu left the Navy in 2014. He had held high posts, including assistant chief of staff for logistics for the commander of the Seventh Fleet. Dermot O’Reilly, deputy inspector general for investigations in the Department of Defense, said that the Glenn case is the “largest fraud and corruption scandal in the U.S. Navy’s history.”

Source

Dallas Woman Gets 10 Years, Must Pay $51M Fraud Restitution

DALLAS (AP) — A Dallas woman must serve 10 years in federal prison and repay $51 million in a health care services fraud case involving home visits.

Myrna S. Parcon was sentenced Thursday in Dallas. Parcon pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud involving Medicare beneficiaries.

Prosecutors say three other people who were convicted await sentencing, including a doctor.

Authorities say many Medicare patients in the case were certified for home health care — whether they needed it or not — from 2009 through mid-2013.

Co-defendant Ransome Etindi of Waxahachie (wahks-uh-HA’-chee) also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit health care fraud and was sentenced Thursday to 30 months in prison. Etindi must repay $18 million.

Another person who pleaded guilty was sentenced to two years and ordered to repay $4.2 million.

Source

GOP donor sues Republican Party for fraud over failure to repeal Obamacare

A Republican donor is fed up with RINOs who paid lip service to repealing imploding Obamacare for 7 years but failed to do so when they had the chance.

Bob Heghmann, a retired attorney from Virginia, filed a federal lawsuit against GOP leaders accusing them of fraud and racketeering.

Heghmann, 70, wants his political donations back, saying weak-willed Republicans raised millions of dollars in campaign funds over the years by promising to repeal Obamacare.

By failing to do so last week, Heghmann said some GOP lawmakers are hucksters involved in “fraud” and organized crime to make money off phony-baloney promises.

RINOs who voted against obamacare skinny repeal john mccain susan collins lisa murkowski

These RINOS allowed the “skinny repeal” of Obamacare to fail. (Image: BizPacReview screengrab/Twitter)

“[The GOP] has been engaged in a pattern of Racketeering, which involves massive fraud perpetrated on Republican voters and contributors,” the lawsuit claimed, as reported by the Virginian-Pilot.

The lawsuit names as defendants the Republican National Committee, two members of Virginia’s national GOP committees, Morton Blackwell and Cynthia Dunbar, the Republican Party of Virginia, and state party chairman John Whitbeck.

Read More

Please Donate

Witness in Clinton Foundation corruption trial found dead in Miami

Klaus Eberwein reportedly shot himself in the head on Tuesday, and the death was being treated a suicide by local authorities, according to the Miami Herald. Eberwein was 50.

He told acquaintances he feared for his life for his fierce criticism of the Clinton Foundation, World Net Daily (WND) reported.

Eberwein was due to appear next Tuesday before the Haitian Senate Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission where he was widely expected to testify that the Clinton Foundation misappropriated Haiti earthquake donations from international donors, according to the WND.

A supporter of former Haitian president Michel Martelly, Eberwein had served as director general of the Haitian government’s economic development agency, Fonds d’assistance économique et social, for three years.

According to Eberwein, a paltry 0.6 percent of donations granted by international donors to the Clinton Foundation with the express purpose of directly assisting Haitians actually ended up in the hands of Haitian organisations.

“A further 9.6 percent ended up with the Haitian government. The remaining 89.8 percent – or $5.4 billion – was funnelled to non-Haitian organisations.”

“The Clinton Foundation, they are criminals, they are thieves, they are liars, they are a disgrace,” Eberwein said at a protest outside the Clinton Foundation headquarters in Manhattan last year, the WND reported.

According to the Haiti Libre newspaper, Eberwein was said to be in “good spirits with plans for the future. His close friends and business partners are shocked by the idea he may have committed suicide.”

“It’s really shocking,” said friend Gilbert Bailly. “We grew up together; he was like family.”

According to Miami Helard, Bailly spoke to Eberwein two weeks ago and he was in good spirits. They were working on opening a Muncheez restaurant in Sunrise, he said.

“But it appears that Eberwein had fallen on hard times.”

Read More

Please Donate

US charging 412 in health fraud schemes worth $1.3 billion

More than 400 people have been charged with taking part in health care fraud and opioid scams that totaled $1.3 billion in false billing, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced Thursday.

Sessions called the collective action the “largest health care fraud takedown operation in American history” and said it indicates that some doctors, nurses and pharmacists “have chosen to violate their oaths and put greed ahead of their patients.”

Among those charged are six Michigan doctors accused of a scheme to prescribe unnecessary opioids. A Florida rehab facility is alleged to have recruited addicts with gift cards and visits to strip clubs, leading to $58 million in false treatments and tests.

Read More

Please Donate

 

‘Obamaphone’ program stashes $9 billion in private bank accounts

The controversial “Obamaphone” program, which pays for cellphones for the poor, is rife with fraud, according to a new government report Thursday that found more than a third of enrollees may not even be qualified.

Known officially as the Lifeline Program, the phone giveaway became a symbol of government waste in the previous administration. Now a new report from the Government Accountability Office bears out those concerns.

The report, requested by Sen. Claire McCaskill, Missouri Democrat, also says the program has stashed some $9 billion in assets in private bank accounts rather than with the federal treasury, further increasing risks and depriving taxpayers of the full benefit of that money.

“A complete lack of oversight is causing this program to fail the American taxpayer — everything that could go wrong is going wrong,” said Mrs. McCaskill, ranking Democrat on the Senate’s chief oversight committee and who is a former state auditor in Missouri.

“We’re currently letting phone companies cash a government check every month with little more than the honor system to hold them accountable, and that simply can’t continue,” she said.

The program, run by the Federal Communications Commission, predates President Obama, but it gained attention during his administration when recipients began to associate the free phone with other benefits he doled out to the poor.

Source

Please Donate

Army Colonel and Others Indicted In $20 Million Bribery and Fraud Scheme Arising Out Of Fort Gordon, Georgia

SAVANNAH, GA – Anthony Tyrone Roper, 55, an active duty Colonel with the U. S. Army stationed at Fort Gordon; Audra Roper, 49, the wife of Colonel Roper; and Dwayne Oswald Fulton, 58, a former employee of a defense contracting firm, were indicted this week by a federal grand jury sitting in Savannah, Georgia for their alleged roles in a bribery and kickback scheme. Each of the Defendants reside in Augusta, Georgia. According to the allegations contained in the Indictment, beginning in 2008 and lasting almost a decade, Colonel Anthony Roper conspired with his wife, Fulton and others to solicit and accept cash bribes in exchange for rigging the award of over $20 million in U. S. Army contracts to selected individuals and companies. The indictment further alleges that in an attempt to hide their bribery and fraud schemes, the Defendants attempted to obstruct an official investigation into their criminal conduct.

Colonel Roper was charged with one count of conspiracy, three counts of bribery, four counts of false statements and one count of obstruction, with a maximum sentence of 85 years in prison and a $1.75 million fine. Audra Roper was charged with one count of conspiracy, one count of false statements and one count of obstruction, with a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison and a $750,000 fine. Fulton was charged with one count of conspiracy and one count of obstruction, with a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison and a $500,000 fine. An indictment is only an accusation and is not evidence of guilt. The Defendants are entitled to a fair trial, during which it will be the Government’s burden to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

The case has been investigated by Special Agent Preston T. Johnson of the U. S. Army, Criminal Investigations Division; Special Agent Randall J. Temples of the U. S. Department of Defense, Criminal Investigative Service; and, Special Agent Bryan M. Cofer of the U.S. Small Business Administration, Office of Inspector General. The investigation of this case remains ongoing. Assistant U. S. Attorney C. Troy Clark and Acting U.S. Attorney James D. Durham are prosecuting the case on behalf of the United States. Any questions should be directed to the U.S. Attorney’s Office at (912) 201-2522.

Source